Policies & Procedures
- Arrival & Dismissal
- Mission & Vision
- NHCS Student Handbook
- Safety Drills
- Student Dress Code
- Student Expectations
- Transportation Changes
- Arrival begins at 7:20
- The only designated car drop-off area is on MacMillan Ave.
- Parents/Guardians should not use the staff parking lot or Pine Street to drop off their student(s), or park and walk up with their student(s).
- All cars should pull up to the sidewalk on Macmillan Ave. Passing other cars is not permitted!
- Please make sure your student is ready to exit the car on the passenger side once the car has come to a complete stop (e.g. no toys/electronics in hand, bookbag and/or lunch box ready to go). This will help with the flow of the line.
- All students will walk independently to their classroom.
- Staff members are on duty throughout the building and are available to help students if/when needed.
- All tardy students (bell rings at 7:40) must be escorted into the building by a parent/guardian to be checked in.
- Dismissal begins at 2:35.
- Students can not be checked out after 2:00 pm.
- The only car pick-up area is on MacMillan Avenue.
- Parents/Guardians should not use the staff parking lot or Pine Street to park and walk up to get their student(s).
- All parents/guardians should remain in their car while staff members load students in. If your student needs assistance buckling, please pull all the way up past the first car line spot (marked by the orange cone) to help keep the line moving.
Coming to school every day ready to learn is important for your child’s success. In addition, school attendance is required by state law. Excused absences include: illness or injury, a death in the family, health care appointments, court appearances, college visits, and religious observances. Participation in a valid educational opportunity outside of the school setting may be approved with prior notice. Elementary and middle school students who are absent more than 20 days in a school year may be retained.
Did You Know? On average, most students at Winter Park are engaged in at least 6-8 instructional lessons per day. When your child misses a day of school, they miss the instruction for that day, which can add up very quickly. Two days absent is a total of at least 12-16 lessons missed. Five days absent is a total of 30-40 lessons missed. Ten days absent is a total of at least 60-80 lessons missed. Set your child up for success by helping them get to school each day on time and ready to learn. Attendance matters!
Communication between school and home plays an important role in academic success. At Winter Park we have multiple means of communication.
◉ Every classroom has a ClassDojo account for teacher-parent communication
◉ Your child will have a Blue Take-Home folder or planner that can be used for written notes or communication
◉ Mr. Hall shares a weekly Principal Message via email with all families highlighting upcoming events, school happenings, and causes for celebration
◉ Connect with us on Facebook and Instagram
Regular communication with your child's teacher is pertinent to school success. All families in grades 3-5 have access to PowerSchool which allows visibility to grades assignments.
Performance Codes – Grades K-2
3 Meets grade level expectations
2 Progresses toward grade level expectations
1 Needs more development, performing well below grade level expectations
Checklist Codes – Grades K-2
+ Adequate progress
- Needs further development
* Not yet assessed
Grading Scale – Grades 3-12
Interim Grades (Quarterly)
Final Grades (Semester/Yearly)
Scale for Citizenship in Grades K-12 and other non-core areas in Grades K-5
S Satisfactory progress
N Needs improvement
U Unsatisfactory progress
Winter Park Elementary School Mission Statement
To provide a safe, supportive, and equitable learning environment for all.
Winter Park Elementary School Vision
◉ Meet all students where they are and give them the opportunity to be safe, healthy, and happy.
◉ Have every child be supported by an adult in their community invested in their academic success.
◉ Create an inclusive environment that allows all stakeholders to provide experiences that foster 21st century learning.
◉ Focus on social and emotional needs
◉ Develop leadership skills
◉ Maintain high expectations for all
All students at Winter Park Elementary School receive free breakfast and lunch daily.
If your child would like extra items such as chips and/or cookies, those can be paid for by cash or adding money to your child's lunch account. More information about pre-payment can be found on our county's Child Nutrition webpage.
In order to create a safe and supportive environment conducive to learning, students and staff are expected to make a S.P.L.A.SH. These expectations should be adhered to in all school settings.
Listen to Others
Aim for Excellence
Please utilize this Continuum of Consequences for addressing student misconduct.
If you need to change your child’s regular dismissal arrangements, you should notify the teacher in advance by sending a note or by calling the front office and speaking directly with the school receptionist. If written or verbal notification is not received, your child will follow his/her regular routine for getting home. Do not leave voicemail messages or send emails for transportation changes as it is possible they will not be received in time.
A school nurse is available on a regular basis at Winter Park.
If your child has a fever, or is sent home from school with a fever over 100 degrees, he/she should not return to school until they are 24 hours fever-free without medication.
If your child exhibits signs of diarrhea and/or vomiting, he/she should not return to school until they are 24 hours free of symptoms.
If your child should need medication during the school day, the principal must have a completed Physician's Authorization form. All medications should be delivered to the office by an adult. All medication will be kept in the office. School policy prohibits school personnel from dispensing over-the-counter medication to students without a Physician's Authorization Form.